Mar 24, 2009

The Count Of Monte Cristo

I just finished reading The Count Of Monte Cristo. I liked it, but i felt that it was too preachy towards the end.

The plot is simple. Edmond Dantes was a young sailor, soon to be promoted a captain, and soon to be married to Mercedes. Then a rival accused him of being a traitor and he was sent to jail for 11 years. His father died of hunger and Mercedes married his rival fearing he was dead. In jail, he met a priest who educated him and gave him instructions to find a buried treasure. He escaped prison when the priest died then he went to get the treasure. He emerged again as the Count of Monte Cristo. Monte Cristo is the small island where the treasure was buried. He vowed revenge to those who sent him to prison and he helped those who helped him and that's what he did. Towards the end, he destroyed those who wronged him. This is the part where I felt that the story has become too preachy. Then, he lived happily ever after with Haydee.

I liked the book really, since Dumas' other book Three Musketeers is one of my all-time favorite. I just don't like the last chapters where it became too preachy for my taste. But the story is very good and well written.

In a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest, I give this book a 3.

Sources/Spoilers:
Wikipedia

1 comment:

s@g@r r@i said...

Really awesome blog. I enjoyed reading this review from you. I found that you really update your site regularly that made me more interesting. I've bookmarked your site for my future use.

Thank you
sagar
Download free CSS templates