Oct 4, 2009

Ondoy Spared My Books

If you can remember my bookshelf, my Twilight series, Harry Potters and Narnia books are located at the bottom shelf. They are there at the place of honor,easily within my reach and vision. I measured it just now, that portion is up to my neck. Good thing (not that its a "good thing" really), the water reached only up to chest level and spared my beloved books! I was so busy worrying about everything else that by the time I remembered my books, we were already upstairs in my mother-in-law's second floor. We have already given up trying to keep our belongings above water, so the books were the last thing I could have thought of saving. And so when I remembered them, I rushed down towards the stairs and kept on asking if the water level is still rising. I think I expelled the breath I didn't know I was holding when my brother-in-law finally told me that the water was slowly subsiding. I couldn't have come back for them even if I wanted to, because the clothes I changed into were the last dry clothes I had. And because my mother would have called me insane if I went down again in darkness and chest-level water just to save those books! Oh well, they wouldn't "get" it anyway if I did. Only the thought of spending the night or days in wet clothes prevented me from going down again. But I am thankful that my books were indeed spared. Even if the sofa, TV rack, computer table, pictures, old reference books, shoes and a lot more were destroyed or lost in the flood!

3 comments:

John said...

That's awful. I hope your family is okay and you haven't lost anything that can't be replaced :-(

Harry Potter and Narnia are among my favourites. I haven't read the Twilight books, but my girlfriend has them all. :-)

Michelle said...

I am so glad that your books were spared! My step-mom is from the Phillipines (though live in Georgia now) and was telling my of the flooding that affected her brothers! I hope the recovery process is quick and am glad that you will have your family - and your beloved books - to see you through! Take care!!

pachuvachuva said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. Nobody has predicted the destruction that Ondoy has done.
Here in Cebu, efforts have been initiated to help Ondoy victims. Posted a list of donation drop-off points on my blog which is a re-post of the original list from Living for a Cause.

Our prayers are with you and to all the families affected. :)